We can be overwhelmed by the number of diets popularized by celebrities and trends, and sometimes it can be difficult to find the right research and data to support a dietary change. Dr. Lane Sebring, who has for nearly two decades taught patients natural methods to maintain a healthy lifestyle, explains the science behind the paleo diet: “I tell my patients that there are certain foods that the body is expecting; the foods we’re genetically programmed for, like berries,” says Sebring. “The body wants to repair, and it wants to do better. When you go off the bad foods you stop insulting the body.” Once the body begins to lose excess weight and inflammation, a chain reaction begins that improves overall health.
While there are many reasons people gravitate to the Paleo Diet and its results, there are four main reasons why people benefit from it. A simpler lifestyle, refreshing sleep, anti-aging benefits and improvement in mood are all “side effects” that make this diet so reliable and effective.
1. Simple, clean lifestyle
- Sometimes referred to as the “caveman” diet, paleo centers on unprocessed, whole foods.
- The paleo diet recognizes a genetic predisposition for certain nutrients and providing the body with the natural food sources that it craves rather than an adherence to pre-packaged, preservative-filled diet foods.
2. Better Sleep
- Because the body starts to detoxify using the paleo diet, weight loss is not the only benefit. Reduction of irritation from allergens, toxins and inflammation results in deeper, more restful sleep.
- Pain from trying to digest foods that harm the body ceases to be an issue. And a rested body is capable of more physical activity and a sharper focus during the day as well as a higher energy level.
3. Anti-Aging Benefits
- While expensive creams and procedures are often touted as solutions for aging, the paleo diet can address concerns simply with the prescription of lean meats, fresh fruits and vegetables. Check out Dr. Lane Sebring’s interview on AccessWire.com where he talked about his work in the Paleo diet.
- When the body is no longer bloated and tired, people find that they can engage in exercise and fitness training that will keep them feeling younger.
- Hair, skin, teeth and nails all benefit from the right “doses” of minerals and nutrients from this simple diet.
4. Positive Mood
- Since the body is no longer on an exhausting roller coaster of sugar-induced highs and lows, people find their moods are stabilized, and in turn their productivity and enjoyment of daily activity increases.
- No longer irritable from extreme starvation that some diets require, the mind and body experience a reduction of stress and fatigue. Good nutrition and daily exercise not only improve the body but increase brain activity and a sense of well-being.
Hippocrates’ famous quotation, “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food” is at the heart of Dr. Lane Sebring’s understanding of a healing diet. His expertise and years of study make his clinic a choice for patients looking for ways to improve health and fitness. Follow him on Facebook and Twitter if you’re interested in trying out the Paleo diet.